Rabbit anti Human Bik antibody recognizes the N-terminal (NT) region of Bcl-2-interacting killer (Bik) also known as natural born killer (Nbk). Bik is a Bcl-2 homology domain 3 (BH3)-only protein of ~18 kDa which requires the BAX gene for activation. Bik forms heterodimers with various antiapoptotic proteins such as Bcl-2 and Bcl-XL, inhibiting their antiapoptotic function. This can result in the release of Ca2+ and cytochrome C into the cytosol, leading to apoptosis.
Loss of Bik is a common feature of clear-cell renal cell carcinoma (RCC), and is thought to act as a renal tissue-specific tumour suppressor gene.
- Target Species
- Species Cross-Reactivity
|Target Species||Cross Reactivity|
- N.B. Antibody reactivity and working conditions may vary between species.
- Product Form
- Purified IgG - liquid
- Antiserum Preparation
- Antisera to Bik were raised by repeated immunisations of rabbits with highly purified antigen. Purified IgG prepared by affinity chromatography.
- Buffer Solution
- Phosphate buffered saline
- Preservative Stabilisers
- 15 amino acid peptide from near the amino terminus of human Bik.
- Approx. Protein Concentrations
- IgG concentration 1.0mg/ml
- This product is shipped at ambient temperature. It is recommended to aliquot and store at -20°C on receipt. When thawed, aliquot the sample as needed. Keep aliquots at 2-8°C for short term use (up to 4 weeks) and store the remaining aliquots at -20°C.
Avoid repeated freezing and thawing as this may denature the antibody. Storage in frost-free freezers is not recommended.
- 12 months from date of despatch
- Entrez Gene
- GO Terms
integral to membrane
induction of apoptosis
- For research purposes only
This product has been reported to work in the following applications. This information is derived from testing within our laboratories, peer-reviewed publications or personal communications from the originators. Please refer to references indicated for further information. For general protocol recommendations, please visit the antibody protocols page.
Applications of BIK antibody
|Immunohistology - Frozen
Where this antibody has not been tested for use in a particular technique this does not necessarily exclude its use in such procedures. Suggested working dilutions are given as a guide only. It is recommended that the user titrates the antibody for use in their own system using appropriate negative/positive controls.
- Western Blotting
- AHP1172 detects a band of approximately 18kDa in Jurkat cell lysates.
Copyright © 2021 Bio-Rad Antibodies (formerly AbD Serotec)
Secondary Antibodies Available
Useful Reagents Available
Product Specific References
Mathai, J.P. et al. (2005) BH3-only BIK regulates BAX,BAK-dependent release of Ca2+ from endoplasmic reticulum stores and mitochondrial apoptosis during stress-induced cell death.
J Biol Chem. 280 (25): 23829-36.
Real, P.J. et al. (2006) Transcriptional activation of the proapoptotic bik gene by E2F proteins in cancer cells.
FEBS Lett. 580 (25): 5905-9.
Sturm, I. et al. (2006) Loss of the tissue-specific proapoptotic BH3-only protein Nbk/Bik is a unifying feature of renal cell carcinoma.
Cell Death Differ. 13 (4): 619-27.
How to Use the Spectraviewer
Watch the Tool Tutorial Video ▸
Start by selecting the application you are interested in, with the option to select an instrument from the drop down menu or create a customized instrument
Select the fluorophores or fluorescent proteins you want to include in your panel to check compatibility
Select the lasers and filters you wish to include
Select combined or multi-laser view to visualize the spectra