Rabbit anti Human Beclin-1 antibody recognizes an epitope within the N-terminal region of Beclin-1, a ~52 kDa coiled-coil protein which shares structural homology with the yeast autophagy gene apg6/vps30.
The ability of cells to undergo bulk degradation of endogenous proteins through an autophagosomic-lysosomal pathway, termed autophagy or Type II cell death, is important in the control of cell growth and development. Studies have identified Beclin-1 as a Bcl-2 interacting mammalian gene which not only mediates autophagy, but also functions as a tumour suppressor, being expressed at reduced levels in human breast carcinoma, and may also play a role in defense against viral infection. An increasing number of studies have revealed an interaction between proteins which induce autophagy and those involved in apoptosis and in some instances apoptosis may be dependant upon or delayed by autophagy.
- Target Species
- Species Cross-Reactivity
|Target Species||Cross Reactivity|
- N.B. Antibody reactivity and working conditions may vary between species.
- Product Form
- Purified IgG - liquid
- Antiserum Preparation
- Antisera to human Beclin-1 (NT) were raised by repeated immunisations of rabbits with highly purified antigen. Purified IgG prepared by affinity chromatography.
- Buffer Solution
- Phosphate buffered saline
- Preservative Stabilisers
- A 17 amino acid peptide located near human Beclin-1 amino-terminus.
- Approx. Protein Concentrations
- IgG concentration 1.0mg/ml
- Store at +4oC or at -20oC if preferred.
Storage in frost-free freezers is not recommended.
This product should be stored undiluted. Avoid repeated freezing and thawing as this may denature the antibody. Should this product contain a precipitate we recommend microcentrifugation before use.
- 18 months from date of despatch.
- Entrez Gene
- GO Terms
response to virus
negative regulation of cell proliferation
cytoplasmic membrane-bounded vesicle
positive regulation of macroautophagy
cellular defense response
autophagic vacuole assembly
- For research purposes only
This product has been reported to work in the following applications. This information is derived from testing within our laboratories, peer-reviewed publications or personal communications from the originators. Please refer to references indicated for further information. For general protocol recommendations, please visit the antibody protocols page.
Applications of Beclin-1 antibody
|Immunohistology - Paraffin 1
- 1This product requires antigen retrieval using heat treatment prior to staining of paraffin sections. Sodium citrate buffer pH 6.0 is recommended for this purpose.
Where this product has not been tested for use in a particular technique this does not necessarily exclude its use in such procedures. Suggested working dilutions are given as a guide only. It is recommended that the user titrates the product for use in their own system using appropriate negative/positive controls.
- Western Blotting
- AHP1009 detects a band of approximately 52kDa in human 293 cell lysates.
Copyright © 2020 Bio-Rad Antibodies (formerly AbD Serotec)
Secondary Antibodies Available
Useful Reagents Available
Product Specific References
Liang, X.H. et al. (1999) Induction of autophagy and inhibition of tumorigenesis by beclin 1.
Nature. 402 (6762): 672-6.
Gozuacik, D. & Kimchi, A. (2004) Autophagy as a cell death and tumor suppressor mechanism.
Oncogene. 23 (16): 2891-906.
Liang, X.H. et al. (1998) Protection against fatal Sindbis virus encephalitis by beclin, a novel Bcl-2-interacting protein.
J Virol. 72 (11): 8586-96.