The haptoglobin gene (HP) encodes a preproprotein, also known as zonulin, which is processed to yield both alpha and beta chains. These chains subsequently combine as a tetramer to produce haptoglobin. Haptoglobin functions to bind free plasma hemoglobin, which allows degradative enzymes to gain access to the hemoglobin, while at the same time preventing loss of iron through the kidneys and protecting the kidneys from damage by hemoglobin.
Mutations in HP and/or its regulatory regions cause ahaptoglobinemia or hypohaptoglobinemia. HP has also been linked to diabetic nephropathy, the incidence of coronary artery disease in type 1 diabetes, Crohn's disease, inflammatory disease behavior, primary sclerosing cholangitis, susceptibility to idiopathic Parkinson's disease, and a reduced incidence of Plasmodium falciparum malaria. A similar duplicated gene is located next to HP on chromosome 16. Multiple transcript variants encoding different isoforms have been found for HP (provided by RefSeq, Jul 2008).
Mouse anti Human haptoglobin antibody detects a band of 43 kDa. The antibody has been extensively validated for western blotting using human plasma lysates.
- Target Species
- Western Blotting
- Anti haptoglobin detects a band of approximately 43 kDa in human plasma samples.
- Product Form
- Purified IgG - liquid
- Mouse monoclonal antibody purified by affinity chromatography on Protein G from tissue culture supernatant
- Buffer Solution
- Phosphate buffered saline
- Preservative Stabilisers
- 0.09% Sodium Azide (NaN3)
- Purified protein from human plasma
- Store undiluted at -20oC, avoiding repeated freeze thaw cycles.
- 12 months from date of despatch
- Entrez Gene
- GO Terms
- GO:0006952 defense response
- GO:0004252 serine-type endopeptidase activity
- GO:0005576 extracellular region
- GO:0006508 proteolysis
- GO:0006879 cellular iron ion homeostasis
- GO:0010942 positive regulation of cell death
- GO:0030492 hemoglobin binding
- GO:0051354 negative regulation of oxidoreductase activity
- GO:2000296 negative regulation of hydrogen peroxide catabolic process
- PrecisionAb is a trademark of Bio-Rad Laboratories.
- For research purposes only
Applications of Haptoglobin antibody
|Application Name||Verified||Min Dilution||Max Dilution|
The PrecisionAb label is reserved for antibodies that meet the defined performance criteria within Bio-Rad's ongoing antibody validation programme. Click here to learn how we validate our PrecisionAb range. Where this product has not been tested for use in a particular technique this does not necessarily exclude its use in such procedures. Further optimization may be required dependent on sample type.
Secondary Antibodies Available
|Description||Product Code||Applications||Pack Size||List Price||Quantity|
|Goat anti Mouse IgG (H/L):HRP||STAR207P||WB||2 ml|
Fluorescent SpectraviewerWatch the Tool Tutorial Video ▸
How to Use the SpectraviewerWatch the Tool Tutorial Video ▸
- Start by selecting the application you are interested in, with the option to select an instrument from the drop down menu or create a customized instrument
- Select the fluorophores or fluorescent proteins you want to include in your panel to check compatibility
- Select the lasers and filters you wish to include
- Select combined or multi-laser view to visualize the spectra