The N-terminus of desmoplakin is required for localization to the desmosome and interacts with the N-terminal region of plakophilin 1 to selectively recruit plakophilins to desmosomal plaques. Desmoplakin has also been shown to function as a transglutaminase substrate in vitro, suggesting that it may participate in cell adhesion at the intra-epidermal level.
Desmosomes are the most common type of intercellular junction in vertebrate epithelial cells. They are characterized by 2 forms of interaction with other cellular structures. Firstly, they form membrane anchorage sites for intermediate-size filaments, which are seen as electron-dense plaques evident beneath the plasma membrane. Secondly, a specific membrane core domain interacts with a corresponding domain of the plasma membrane of an adjacent cell, apparently mediating intercellular adhesion in a stable way. Mutations in the gene for this protein are the cause of several cardiomyopathies and keratodermas as well as some autoimmune diseases.
Mouse anti Human desmoplakin binds to an epitope between amino acids 2344-2822 of desmoplakin. This antibody has been extensively validated for western blotting using whole cell lysates.
- Target Species
- Western Blotting
- Anti desmoplakin antibody detects a band of approximately 332 kDa in HepG2 cell lysates
- Product Form
- Purified IgG - liquid
- Mouse monoclonal antibody purified by affinity chromatography on Protein A from tissue culture supernatant
- Buffer Solution
- Phosphate buffered saline
- Preservative Stabilisers
- 0.09% Sodium Azide (NaN3)
- Recombinant fusion protein fragment consisting of the carboxyl terminus of desmoplakin, fused with maltose binding protein.
- Store undiluted at -20oC, avoiding repeated freeze thaw cycles.
- 12 months from date of despatch
- Entrez Gene
- GO Terms
- GO:0001533 cornified envelope
- GO:0030674 protein binding, bridging
- GO:0005200 structural constituent of cytoskeleton
- GO:0006921 cellular component disassembly involved in apoptosis
- GO:0018149 peptide cross-linking
- GO:0030057 desmosome
- GO:0030216 keratinocyte differentiation
- PrecisionAb is a trademark of Bio-Rad Laboratories.
- For research purposes only
Applications of Desmoplakin antibody
|Application Name||Verified||Min Dilution||Max Dilution|
The PrecisionAb label is reserved for antibodies that meet the defined performance criteria within Bio-Rad's ongoing antibody validation programme. Click here to learn how we validate our PrecisionAb range. Where this product has not been tested for use in a particular technique this does not necessarily exclude its use in such procedures. Further optimization may be required dependent on sample type.
Secondary Antibodies Available
|Description||Product Code||Applications||Pack Size||List Price||Quantity|
|Goat anti Mouse IgG (H/L):HRP||STAR207P||WB||2 ml|
Fluorescent SpectraviewerWatch the Tool Tutorial Video ▸
How to Use the SpectraviewerWatch the Tool Tutorial Video ▸
- Start by selecting the application you are interested in, with the option to select an instrument from the drop down menu or create a customized instrument
- Select the fluorophores or fluorescent proteins you want to include in your panel to check compatibility
- Select the lasers and filters you wish to include
- Select combined or multi-laser view to visualize the spectra