Native human prealbumin, also known as transthyretin, is a homotetrameric serum and cerebrospinal fluid protein which acts as a carrier for the thyroid hormone thyroxine. Each monomer is a 127 amino acid polypeptide. Prealbumin is synthesised principally in the liver and choroid plexus from where it is secreted into the serum and cerebrospinal fluid respectively.
- Target Species
- Product Form
- Purified protein from human serum - lyophilized
- Reconstitute with 1.0 ml sterile PBS. Care should be taken during reconstitution as the protein may appear as a film at the bottom of the vial. Bio-Rad recommend that the vial is gently mixed after reconstitution.
- Buffer Solution
- 0.02M Ammonium bicarbonate (NH4HCO3).
- Preservative Stabilisers
- None present
SDS-PAGE confirms prealbumin as the major component. Under certain conditions dimer and monomer subunits can be seen. Cellulose acetate electrophoresis shows one band only with a higher electrophoretic mobility than albumin.
- Approx. Protein Concentrations
- Total protein concentration 1.0 mg/ml after reconstitution.
- Protein Molecular Weight
- 60 kDa (tetramer)
- Store at -20oC only.
Storage in frost-free freezers is not recommended.
This product should be stored undiluted. Avoid repeated freezing and thawing as this may denature the protein. Should this product contain a precipitate we recommend microcentrifugation before use.
- Guaranteed until date of expiry. Please see product label.
- Entrez Gene
- GO Terms
- For research purposes only
This product has been reported to work in the following applications. This information is derived from testing within our laboratories, peer-reviewed publications or personal communications from the originators. Please refer to references indicated for further information. For general protocol recommendations, please visit the antibody protocols page.
Applications of Prealbumin
Where this product has not been tested for use in a particular technique this does not necessarily exclude its use in such procedures. Suggested working dilutions are given as a guide only. It is recommended that the user titrates the product for use in their own system using appropriate negative/positive controls.
Copyright © 2020 Bio-Rad Antibodies (formerly AbD Serotec)