Escherichia coli Beta-Galactosidase is an inducible tetrameric enzyme coded by the lac Z gene of the lac operon that is often used as a reporter to assess the efficiency of transfection. It is a metalloenzyme that splits lactose into glucose and galactose. It hydrolyzes terminal, non-reducing beta-D-galactose residues in beta-D-galactosides.
- Target Species
- Product Form
- Purified protein from Escherichia coli - lyophilized
- Reconstitute with 1.0 ml sterile distilled water or aqueous buffer of choice.
Care should be taken during reconstitution as the protein may appear as a film at the bottom of the vial. Bio-Rad recommend that the vial is gently mixed after reconstitution.
- Buffer Solution
- Phosphate buffered saline
- Preservative Stabilisers
- Contains Sucrose
- >600 U/mg proteinOne unit hydrolyses 1 µmole of p-nitrophenol-b-D-galactoside to p-nitrophenol per minute at 37ºC.
For batch-specific activity, please inquire.
- Approx. Protein Concentrations
- Protein content is approximately 20-25% of total weight
- Protein Molecular Weight
- 540 kDa
- Prior to reconstitution store at +4oC.
After reconstitution store at -20oC.
Storage in frost-free freezers is not recommended. This product should be stored undiluted. Avoid repeated freezing and thawing as this may denature the protein. Should this product contain a precipitate we recommend microcentrifugation before use.
- 12 months from date of despatch
- GO Terms
metal ion binding
lactose catabolic process
- For research purposes only
This product has been reported to work in the following applications. This information is derived from testing within our laboratories, peer-reviewed publications or personal communications from the originators. Please refer to references indicated for further information. For general protocol recommendations, please visit the antibody protocols page.
Applications of Beta Galactosidase
Where this product has not been tested for use in a particular technique this does not necessarily exclude its use in such procedures. Suggested working dilutions are given as a guide only. It is recommended that the user titrates the product for use in their own system using appropriate negative/positive controls.
Copyright © 2020 Bio-Rad Antibodies (formerly AbD Serotec)