The deamination of 5-MeC results in the formation of thymine (T) instead of uracil. Since thymine is not recognized by DNA repair enzymes, cytosine to thymine conversions can cause transition mutations. The most frequent mutations in human genetic diseases are those involving C to T transitions occurring at CG sites (Morgan et al. 2004). Another type of mutation involving 5-MeC involves the formation of pyrimidine dimers. Upon exposure to sunlight, pyrimidine dimers form preferentially at dipyrimidine sequences containing 5-MeC, a mutation frequently seen in human skin cancers (Pfeifer et al. 2005).
Sheep Anti-5-MeC is reported as suitable for use in immunocytochemistry.
- Target Species
- Species Cross-Reactivity
Target Species Cross Reactivity Rat
- N.B. Antibody reactivity and working conditions may vary between species.
- Product Form
- Purified IgG - liquid
- Antiserum Preparation
- Antiserum to 5-MeC was raised by repeated immunisation of sheep with highly purified antigen. Purified IgG was prepared by affinity chromatography.
- Buffer Solution
- Phosphate buffered saline
- Preservative Stabilisers
- None present
- Keyhole limpet haemocyanin (KLH) conjugated 5-methylcytosine.
- Approx. Protein Concentrations
- IgG concentration 1.0mg/ml
- Store at -20oC only.
Storage in frost-free freezers is not recommended.
This product should be stored undiluted. Avoid repeated freezing and thawing as this may denature the antibody. Should this product contain a precipitate we recommend microcentrifugation before use.
- 12 months from date of despatch
- For research purposes only
Applications of 5-Methylcytosine antibody
|Application Name||Verified||Min Dilution||Max Dilution|
|Immunohistology - Frozen 1||10ug/ml|
|Immunohistology - Paraffin 2||10ug/ml|
- 1Using a fixation step in cold methanol for 30 minutes followed by immersion in 0.007 M NaOH for 10-15 seconds allows staining with the simultaneous detection of nuclear cytoplasmic and membrane components, as well as preservation of morphological detail.
- 2* Using a fixation step in cold methanol for 30 minutes followed by immersion in 0.007 M NaOH for 10-15 seconds allows staining with the simultaneous detection of nuclear cytoplasmic and membrane components, as well as preservation of morphological detail.
Secondary Antibodies Available
|Description||Product Code||Applications||Pack Size||List Price||Quantity|
|Rabbit anti Sheep IgG (H/L):Biotin||5184-2304||C E F WB||1.5 ml|
|Donkey anti Sheep/Goat IgG:DyLight®488||STAR88D488GA||F IF||0.1 mg|
|Donkey anti Sheep/Goat IgG:FITC||STAR88F||C||1 mg|
|Donkey anti Sheep/Goat IgG:HRP||STAR88P||C E P WB||1 ml|
Product Specific References
References for 5-Methylcytosine antibody
Hiura, H. et al. (2010) A tripartite paternally methylated region within the Gpr1-Zdbf2 imprinted domain on mouse chromosome 1 identified by meDIP-on-chip.
Nucleic Acids Res. 38 (15): 4929-45.
Pontes, O. et al. (2009) RNA polymerase V functions in Arabidopsis interphase heterochromatin organization independently of the 24-nt siRNA-directed DNA methylation pathway.
Mol Plant. 2: 700-10.