Recombinant human defensin beta-2 (BD-2), is a 4.3 kDa peptide comprised of 41 amino acid residues. BD-2, a member of the beta defensin family, is secreted at epithelial surfaces of the skin and respiratory tract and by some leukocytes. This defensin is induced by bacterial products and cytokines during inflammation and functions as part of the innate immune system, having a wide ranging antimicrobial activity. BD-2 also functions as a chemoattractant to immature dendritic cells and memory T cells and acts as a ligand for TLR4, upregulating co-stimulatory molecules and inducing dendritic cell maturation.
- Target Species
- Product Form
- Purified recombinant protein - lyophilized
- Reconstitute with 0.2ml 10 mM acetic acid. Care should be taken during reconstitution as the protein may appear as a film at the bottom of the vial. Bio-Rad recommend that the vial is gently mixed after reconstitution. For extended storage the addition of 0.1% bovine serum albumin (BSA) is recommended.
- Purified recombinant BD-2, expressed in E. coli
- Preservative Stabilisers
- None present
- Determined by its ability to chemoattract immature dendritic cells using a concentration of 10.0-100.0 ng/ml
- >98% by SDS PAGE and HPLC
- Approx. Protein Concentrations
- 0.1 mg/ml after reconstitution
- Protein Molecular Weight
- 4.3 kDa (41 amino acid residues)
- Endotoxin Level
- < 0.1 ng/ug
- Prior to reconstitution store at -20oC.
After reconstitution store at -20oC.
Storage in frost-free freezers is not recommended.
This product should be stored undiluted. Avoid repeated freezing and thawing as this may denature the antibody. Should this product contain a precipitate we recommend microcentrifugation before use.
- Guaranteed for 3 months from the date of reconstitution or until the date of expiry, whichever comes first. Please see label for expiry date.
- Entrez Gene
- GO Terms
defense response to bacterium
G-protein coupled receptor protein signaling pathway
- For research purposes only
This product has been reported to work in the following applications. This information is derived from testing within our laboratories, peer-reviewed publications or personal communications from the originators. Please refer to references indicated for further information. For general protocol recommendations, please visit the antibody protocols page.
Applications of Defensin Beta 2
Where this product has not been tested for use in a particular technique this does not necessarily exclude its use in such procedures. Suggested working dilutions are given as a guide only. It is recommended that the user titrates the product for use in their own system using appropriate negative/positive controls.
- Recombinant human BD-2 may be used as a standard in ELISA applications with either a purified human BD-2 antibody (AHP849) or a biotinylated human BD-2 antibody (AHP489B).
- Western Blotting
- Recombinant human BD-2 may be used as the positive control in Western Blotting applications with either a purified human BD-2 antibody (AHP849) or a biotinylated human BD-2 antibody (AHP489B).
Copyright © 2020 Bio-Rad Antibodies (formerly AbD Serotec)
Product Specific References
References for Defensin Beta 2
Bals, R. et al. (1998) Human beta-Defensin 2 is a salt-sensitive peptide antibiotic expressed in human lung.
J. Clin. Invest. 102: 874-880.
Yang, D. et al. (1999) Beta-defensins: linking innate and adaptive immunity through dendritic and T cell CCR6.
Science 286: 525-528.