Prolactin (PRL), also known as luteotropic hormone (LTH), is a neuroendocrine hormone and member of the somatotropin/prolactin family, which is secreted by the anterior pituitary, under the regulation of neuroendocrine neurons in the hypothalamus. The primary function of prolactin is the stimulation of breast development, and promotion of lactation during pregnancy and suckling, but prolactin also exhibits a weak luteotropic effect. Elevated levels of prolactin can be associated with hypothalamic disease, hypothyroidism, kidney disease, chest wall trauma or irritation, and tumours of the pituitary, including prolactinomas.
- Target Species
- Product Form
- Purified recombinant protein - lyophilized
- Reconstitute with 0.5 ml distilled water. Care should be taken during reconstitution as the protein may appear as a film at the bottom of the vial. Bio-Rad recommend that the vial is gently mixed after reconstitution.
- Purified recombinant prolactin expressed in E.coli
- Buffer Solution
- Phosphate buffered saline
- Preservative Stabilisers
- None present
- Carrier Free
- Determined by its ability to induce the proliferation of rat Nb2-11 cells in the concentration range of 0.1-1.0 ng/ml
- >98% by SDS PAGE and HPLC
- Approx. Protein Concentrations
- 0.1 mg/ml after reconstitution
- Protein Molecular Weight
- 23 kDa (200 amino acid residues)
- Endotoxin Level
- < 1.0 EU/ug
- Prior to reconstitution store at +4oC.
After reconstitution store at -20oC.
Storage in frost-free freezers is not recommended. This product should be stored undiluted. Avoid repeated freezing and thawing as this may denature the antibody. Should this product contain a precipitate we recommend microcentrifugation before use.
- 3 months from date of reconstitution
- Entrez Gene
- GO Terms
prolactin receptor binding
cell surface receptor linked signaling pathway
regulation of multicellular organism growth
positive regulation of JAK-STAT cascade
- For research purposes only
This product has been reported to work in the following applications. This information is derived from testing within our laboratories, peer-reviewed publications or personal communications from the originators. Please refer to references indicated for further information. For general protocol recommendations, please visit the antibody protocols page.
Applications of Prolactin
Where this product has not been tested for use in a particular technique this does not necessarily exclude its use in such procedures. Suggested working dilutions are given as a guide only. It is recommended that the user titrates the product for use in their own system using appropriate negative/positive controls.
Copyright © 2020 Bio-Rad Antibodies (formerly AbD Serotec)