Rabbit anti serotonin antibody recognizes serotonin, also known as 5-hydroxytryptamine, or 5-HT. Serotonin is a monoamine neurotransmitter synthesised in serotonergic neurons in the central nervous system and enterochromaffin cells in the gastrointestinal tract. Serotonin has broad activities in the brain. Genetic variation in serotonin receptors and the serotonin transporter (which facilitates reuptake of serotonin into presynapses) has been implicated in neurological diseases. Drugs targeting serotonin-induced pathways are being used in the treatment of many psychiatric disorders and one focus of clinical research is the influence of genetics on serotonin action and metabolism in psychiatric settings.
- Species Cross-Reactivity
|Target Species||Cross Reactivity|
- N.B. Antibody reactivity and working conditions may vary between species.
- Product Form
- Serum - liquid
- Antiserum Preparation
- Antisera to serotonin were raised by repeated immunisation of rabbits with highly purified antigen. Whole serum is supplied.
- Preservative Stabilisers
- Serotonin coupled to BSA.
- Store at +4oC or at -20oC if preferred.
This product should be stored undiluted.
Storage in frost free freezers is not recommended. Avoid repeated freezing and thawing as this may denature the antibody. Should this product contain a precipitate we recommend microcentrifugation before use.
- 18 months from date of despatch.
- For research purposes only
This product has been reported to work in the following applications. This information is derived from testing within our laboratories, peer-reviewed publications or personal communications from the originators. Please refer to references indicated for further information. For general protocol recommendations, please visit the antibody protocols page.
Applications of Serotonin antibody
|Immunohistology - Frozen 1
|Immunohistology - Paraffin 2
- 1Gluteraldehyde (2- 5 %) should be included in the fixative. A metabisulphite reduction step is required. * For frozen sections, a borohydride reduction step is also required.
- 2For paraffin wax sections, it is recommended that a brief 10 min pre-treatment in trypsin solution (1 mg/ml in PBS) is included to enhance immunostaining. Gluteraldehyde (2- 5 %) should be included in the fixative. A metabisulphite reduction step is required.
Where this antibody has not been tested for use in a particular technique this does not necessarily exclude its use in such procedures. Suggested working dilutions are given as a guide only. It is recommended that the user titrates the antibody for use in their own system using appropriate negative/positive controls.
Copyright © 2020 Bio-Rad Antibodies (formerly AbD Serotec)
Secondary Antibodies Available
Product Specific References
References for Serotonin antibody
Dicke, U. et al. (1997) 5-HT-like immunoreactivity in the brains of plethodontid and salamandrid salamanders (Hydromantes italicus, Hydromantes genei, Plethodon jordani, Desmognathus ochrophaeus, Pleurodeles waltl): an immunohistochemical and biocytin double-labelling study.
Cell Tissue Res. 287 (3): 513-23.