Filter by Application:P IF Reset
|Guinea pig anti Pig insulin antibody recognizes porcine insulin, a hormone secreted by the beta cells of the islets of Langerhans in the pancreas. Insulin belongs to a family of hormones including the insulin-like growth hormones and the relaxins. The insulin precursor is a 108 amino acid polypeptide consisting of a 24 aa signal peptide, an insulin A chain, a prohormone polypeptide (also known as the ‘C chain’) and an insulin B chain together having a predicted molecular mass of 11,672 Da. Active insulin migrates with an apparent molecular mass of ~6 kDa in western blotting of porcine, bovine and lapine samples (Schechter et al. 1992).
Insulin is a hormone that functions in carbohydrate homeostasis, and acts to decrease blood glucose concentration by increasing cell permeability to monosaccharides, amino acids and fatty acids, and accelerate glycolysis and glycogen synthesis in the liver, it induces uptake of glucose into cells through its interaction with the glucose transporter GLUT4 (Watson and Pressin 2001). Deficiency of insulin results in diabetes mellitus, one of the leading causes of morbidity and mortality in the general population. Insulin is also present in tumours of B-cell origin such as insulinoma (Schiel et al. 2006).
Guinea pig anti Pig insulin antibody has been successfully used to demonstrate the presence of insulin in the islets of Langerhans of murine pancreas using immunohistochemistry on paraffin embedded material (Ortsäter et al. 2012).
- Target Species
- Species Cross-Reactivity
Target Species Cross Reactivity Mouse Human
- N.B. Antibody reactivity and working conditions may vary between species.
- Product Form
- Purified IgG - liquid
- Purified IgG prepared by affinity chromatography on Protein G
- Buffer Solution
- Phosphate buffered saline.
- Preservative Stabilisers
0.09% Sodium Azide (NaN3)
- Approx. Protein Concentrations
- IgG concentration 5.0mg/ml
- For research purposes only
- 12 months from date of despatch
Avoid repeated freezing and thawing as this may denature the antibody. Storage in frost-free freezers is not recommended.
|Application Name||Verified||Min Dilution||Max Dilution|
|Immunohistology - Frozen||1/50||1/1600|
|Immunohistology - Paraffin|
- Histology Positive Control Tissue
References for Insulin antibody
Ortsäter, H. et al. (2012) Diet supplementation with green tea extract epigallocatechin gallate prevents progression to glucose intolerance in db/db mice.
Nutr Metab (Lond). 9: 11.
Izumi, K. et al. (2015) Reduced Tyk2 gene expression in β-cells due to natural mutation determines susceptibility to virus-induced diabetes.
Nat Commun. 6: 6748.
Tian, J. et al. (2019) A Clinically Applicable Positive Allosteric Modulator of GABA Receptors Promotes Human β-Cell Replication and Survival as well as GABA’s Ability to Inhibit Inflammatory T Cells
J Diabet Res. 2019, Article ID 5783545, 7 pages.
- Entrez Gene
- GO Terms
- GO:0005576 extracellular region
- GO:0005179 hormone activity
- GO:0006006 glucose metabolic process
- GO:0030335 positive regulation of cell migration
- GO:0031954 positive regulation of protein autophosphorylation
- GO:0045740 positive regulation of DNA replication
- GO:0046628 positive regulation of insulin receptor signaling pathway
- GO:0050731 positive regulation of peptidyl-tyrosine phosphorylation
Always be the first to know.
When we launch new products and resources to help you achieve more in the lab.Yes, sign me up