SMAD2 belongs to the SMAD family of proteins similar to the gene products of the Drosophila gene 'mothers against decapentaplegic' (Mad) and the C. elegans gene Sma. SMAD proteins are signal transducers and transcriptional modulators that mediate multiple signaling pathways. This protein mediates the signal of the transforming growth factor (TGF)-beta, and thus regulates multiple cellular processes, such as cell proliferation, apoptosis, and differentiation. This protein is recruited to the TGF-beta receptors through its interaction with the SMAD anchor for receptor activation (SARA) protein. In response to TGF-beta signal, this protein is phosphorylated by the TGF-beta receptors. The phosphorylation induces the dissociation of this protein with SARA and the association with the family member SMAD4. The association with SMAD4 is important for the translocation of this protein into the nucleus, where it binds to target promoters and forms a transcription repressor complex with other cofactors. This protein can also be phosphorylated by activin type 1 receptor kinase, and mediates the signal from the activin. Alternatively spliced transcript variants have been observed for SMAD2 (provided by RefSeq, May 2012).
Rabbit anti Human SMAD2 antibody detects a band of 60 kDa. The antibody has been extensively validated for western blotting using whole cell lysates.
- Target Species
- Western Blotting
- Anti SMAD2 detects a band of approximately 60 kDa in Jurkat cell lysates.
- Species Cross-Reactivity
Target Species Cross Reactivity Mouse
- N.B. Antibody reactivity and working conditions may vary between species.
- Product Form
- Purified IgG - liquid
- Rabbit polyclonal antibody purified by affinity chromatography
- Buffer Solution
- Phosphate buffered saline
- Preservative Stabilisers
- 0.09% Sodium Azide (NaN3)
1% Bovine Serum Albumin
- Synthetic peptide corresponding to an internal region of human SMAD2
- Store undiluted at -20oC, avoiding repeated freeze thaw cycles.
- 12 months from date of despatch
- Entrez Gene
- GO Terms
- GO:0001707 mesoderm formation
- GO:0003690 double-stranded DNA binding
- GO:0003700 sequence-specific DNA binding transcription factor activity
- GO:0005829 cytosol
- GO:0035556 intracellular signal transduction
- GO:0030618 transforming growth factor beta receptor, pathway-specific cytoplasmic mediator activity
- GO:0007179 transforming growth factor beta receptor signaling pathway
- GO:0007182 common-partner SMAD protein phosphorylation
- GO:0007183 SMAD protein complex assembly
- GO:0007352 zygotic specification of dorsal/ventral axis
- GO:0008134 transcription factor binding
- GO:0009952 anterior/posterior pattern formation
- GO:0010718 positive regulation of epithelial to mesenchymal transition
- GO:0010843 promoter binding
- GO:0016563 transcription activator activity
- GO:0017015 regulation of transforming growth factor beta receptor signaling pathway
- GO:0031053 primary microRNA processing
- GO:0031625 ubiquitin protein ligase binding
- GO:0032444 activin responsive factor complex
- GO:0034713 type I transforming growth factor beta receptor binding
- GO:0043193 positive regulation of gene-specific transcription
- GO:0045165 cell fate commitment
- GO:0045892 negative regulation of transcription, DNA-dependent
- GO:0045944 positive regulation of transcription from RNA polymerase II promoter
- GO:0048340 paraxial mesoderm morphogenesis
- GO:0051098 regulation of binding
- GO:0060021 palate development
- GO:0070410 co-SMAD binding
- GO:0070411 I-SMAD binding
- GO:0070412 R-SMAD binding
- GO:0070723 response to cholesterol
- PrecisionAb is a trademark of Bio-Rad Laboratories.
- For research purposes only
Applications of SMAD2 antibody
|Application Name||Verified||Min Dilution||Max Dilution|
The PrecisionAb label is reserved for antibodies that meet the defined performance criteria within Bio-Rad's ongoing antibody validation programme. Click here to learn how we validate our PrecisionAb range. Where this product has not been tested for use in a particular technique this does not necessarily exclude its use in such procedures. Further optimization may be required dependent on sample type.
Secondary Antibodies Available
|Description||Product Code||Applications||Pack Size||List Price||Quantity|
|Goat anti Rabbit IgG (H/L):HRP||STAR208P||WB||2 ml|
How to Use the Spectraviewer?
- Start by selecting the application you are interested in, with the option to select an instrument from the drop down menu or create a customized instrument
- Select the fluorophores or fluorescent proteins you want to include in your panel to check compatibility
- Select the lasers and filters you wish to include
- Select combined or multi-laser view to visualize the spectra