Rabbit anti Human SLC5A3 antibody detects epitopes within the C-terminal region of sodium-dependent myo-inositol cotransporter-1 (SLC5A3), also known as SMIT-1. SLC5A3 is a~80 kDa membrane associated transporter which is expressed in many human tissues including the brain, kidney and placenta. It is up-regulated in hypertonic conditions and functions in cellular osmoregulation by regulating myo-inositol (MI) uptake. MI is the precursor for phosphatidylinositol and its derivatives, all of which have functions in signal transduction.
Up-regulation of SLC5A3 may be associated with an increased risk for bipolar I disorder, and is also thought to be a factor in the pathophysiology of Down syndrome.
- Target Species
- Product Form
- Purified IgG - liquid
- Antiserum Preparation
- Antisera to SLC5A3 were raised by repeated immunisations of rabbit with highly purified antigen. Purified IgG prepared by affinity chromatography.
- Buffer Solution
- Phosphate buffered saline
- Preservative Stabilisers
- <0.1% Sodium Azide (NaN3)
- Synthetic peptide corresponding to the C-terminal domain of human SLC5A3, conjugated to KLH.
- Approx. Protein Concentrations
- IgG concentration 1.0mg/ml
- This product is shipped at ambient temperature. It is recommended to aliquot and store at -20°C on receipt. When thawed, aliquot the sample as needed. Keep aliquots at 2-8°C for short term use (up to 4 weeks) and store the remaining aliquots at -20°C.
Avoid repeated freezing and thawing as this may denature the antibody. Storage in frost-free freezers is not recommended.
- 12 months from date of despatch
- Entrez Gene
- GO Terms
integral to plasma membrane
myo-inositol:sodium symporter activity
- For research purposes only
This product has been reported to work in the following applications. This information is derived from testing within our laboratories, peer-reviewed publications or personal communications from the originators. Please refer to references indicated for further information. For general protocol recommendations, please visit the antibody protocols page.
Applications of SLC5A3 antibody
|Immunohistology - Paraffin 1
- 1This product requires antigen retrieval using heat treatment prior to staining of paraffin sections.Sodium citrate buffer pH 6.0 is recommended for this purpose.
Where this product has not been tested for use in a particular technique this does not necessarily exclude its use in such procedures. Suggested working dilutions are given as a guide only. It is recommended that the user titrates the product for use in their own system using appropriate negative/positive controls.
- Histology Positive Control Tissue
- Spinal cord.
Copyright © 2021 Bio-Rad Antibodies (formerly AbD Serotec)
Secondary Antibodies Available
Useful Reagents Available
Product Specific References
Mallee, J.J. et al. (1997) The structural organization of the human Na+/myo-inositol cotransporter (SLC5A3) gene and characterization of the promoter.
Genomics. 46 (3): 459-65.
Chau, J.F. et al. (2005) Sodium/myo-inositol cotransporter-1 is essential for the development and function of the peripheral nerves.
FASEB J. 19 (13): 1887-9.
Willmroth, F. et al. (2007) Sodium-myo-inositol co-transporter (SMIT-1) mRNA is increased in neutrophils of patients with bipolar 1 disorder and down-regulated under treatment with mood stabilizers.
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol. 10 (1): 63-71.
How to Use the Spectraviewer
Watch the Tool Tutorial Video ▸
Start by selecting the application you are interested in, with the option to select an instrument from the drop down menu or create a customized instrument
Select the fluorophores or fluorescent proteins you want to include in your panel to check compatibility
Select the lasers and filters you wish to include
Select combined or multi-laser view to visualize the spectra